new KANJI DAMAGE in full effect.

For about 5 years I’ve been working on a revolutionary new approach to studying kanji; the "TEACH YOURSELF KANJI VIA YO MAMA JOKES" method, aka KANJIDAMAGE.

Then about a year ago I put a rough draft online, but the entire dictionary was one giant .html page and basically crashed everyone’s computer.

So I hired a great programming company called Mobalean to turn my kanji dictionary into a ‘real’ website. After 6 months, we have a beta version ready to go. It’s not super graphic-designy but all the data and features are there.

This shit has been my main shit that  I work on, since I gave up doing music. Parts of it are funny or rude but I’m dead serious – this should be the main thing that is taught in the classroom.

It is motivated by my general hatred for all the normal teaching materials  that are written by foreigners but somehow copy all the mistakes that native Japanese make when teaching. . . .and my contempt for cheapo  "learn japanese fast" apps that all use the same fucking public-domain-ass data-set.

Anyone who is studying Japanese, please check it out.

If you’re NOT studying, tell friends of yours that ARE studying! For god’s sake! I have no idea for how to promote this damn thing!!!

OK!

Link to the NEW website; kanjidamage.com.

That’s right: kanjidamage.com.

Link to my kanjidamage ‘textbook’ which explains how to use the website, the Forbidden Secrets of Kanji, problems with how kanji is taught, and a picture of a nutsac getting kicked. If you read it a year ago, it’s hella different!!! Shorter, better, less spelling mistakes. Very professional and academic.

Go HERE to give us some feedback: I’m talking about stuff like

factual errors,

site navigation problems,

graphic design issues,

features you’d like to see,

questions about the method,

and especially : ideas for how to promote the site to nihongo students around the world,

and so on.

Also, here is a video of my friend’s band.

1. Chris February 3rd, 2010 4:41 pm

the kanjidamage-stuff is rad! thanks!

2. Chris February 4th, 2010 3:28 am

Just want to say that this is totally awesome. If I hadn’t already done Heisig I’d probably use this instead, in fact I’ll probably come to this when I want to look up shit I forgot, it’s much more entertaining.

3. Brian February 4th, 2010 6:28 am

Dude, this is really rad. I’m going to incorporate it into my study flow. Right now, I am finishing up Heisig (at 1300 now), and using the Anki SRS program to study at night. Now, every time I miss a word, I’ll go to the Kanji Damage site to study it for a sec. I’ll let you know how it goes after a few months.

4. Dan February 4th, 2010 6:35 am

awesome, i am trying to make a push to learn kanji this year. i just dragged the link to my ‘quick bookmarks’ so hopefully i will make regular visits. i will let you know how it goes…

5. norbigalamb@gmail.com February 4th, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi!

Which is more student friendly city: Osaka or Tokyo?

Thanks,
    Norbi

6. flores February 6th, 2010 4:37 am

i am using this shit and loving it. refreshing to have some humor as i study. thanks for this

7. Tim February 6th, 2010 7:26 am

I just started using this about a week ago and I’ve already got about 200 new kanji memorized from it. Big coincidence that it just got renovated now. Thanks for all the work you’ve put into this.

8. jcor February 6th, 2010 7:21 pm

I’ve been a fan of your method of learning kanji for over a year now. Clear, concise, and laced with profanity, it’s always done me good. And now that the sites been revamped, I’m diggin’ even more! Thank you!
    I think the next step is to do an iPhone App.

9. Malik February 7th, 2010 8:11 am

Steve, could you send me an eMail? I’d like to ask you some questions about Japan, bands, touring possibilities – and what the fuck we can do to get over – and what we should avoid. Skype would also be cool.

Would be nice, so thanx in advance,

Malik

10. sephim February 8th, 2010 9:19 pm

Now this way I can get a kanji tattoo KNOWING it says “I Love Cock”.

I can’t thank you enough.

11. Blank February 9th, 2010 1:26 pm

Hey Schultz, I just let people at the Reviewing the Kanji forums know about the new kanjidamage. Hopefully it will win over some followers–it was hugely useful to me when I used the old version!

12. boppitman February 12th, 2010 2:46 am

Hello again

おつかれさま on getting the new version of KD up – I haven’t had a close look at it myself yet, but what I have done is to tell the folks over at the Live Journal Japanese community about it – my alias over there is frogchorus, and you can have a look at what they said here:

There were a few criticisms about typos (particularly one in the first entry!), but if nothing else, you should get a bit more traffic to the site and a few more converts to the KD method.

Keep up the good work and good luck with getting the word out there (not that I own one or anything, but the iPhone app is a great idea, by the way).

Cheers,
    boppitman / frogchorus

13. admin February 12th, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks for telling folks about it. A typo on the first page! I wouldn’t trust my dictionary either. What the hell, man. I can’t believe I didn’t catch that before now. I fixed that one as well as the other typo. That’s exactly the sort of help that I need and was hoping to get. Rock on, sir!

14. dale October 4th, 2010 8:58 pm

Congratulations on getting kanji damage up and running. Dick and pussy jokes aside, your breakdowns of the kanji, order in which you introduce things, rational explanations, usefulness and all the other great information you've provided is fucking brilliant and I hope others (teachers) who may be turned off by its crudeness can see that.
    This is a wealth of knowledge and while the website is a good start, getting this information more dynamic will be the start of some incredible results. ie. I'd love to be able to take this on the road with me whether it be in a published book or app.
    Don't sell yourself short, you've got this locked down. Now allow me to remove my tongue from your asshole and continue the studies.

15. Corridor January 23rd, 2012 3:30 am

Have you seen textfugu.com? Dude's making a chunk of cash off the exact same approach. I thought it interesting that his kanji page reads almost identically to yours.

16. admin January 23rd, 2012 9:34 am

that is amazing! i spent 20 minutes just reading his rants about how “teaching japanese” is done shitty these days and how he wants to improve it. unfortunately i was not able to access the paid content, so i have no way to say if the real substance of the site is good or bad. i hope it is good! some free screen-caps that show the general system would be appreciated! dude took my criticisms of the way kanji is taught and repharased them in a much more fun, less ranty, audience-pleasing form. so kudos to him or her!!! is this actually a big thing now/? or one of many kanji sites that gets like fifteen dollars from gogole a month? either way i would love to tlak to the web-manager of that site!

oh well, i’m ol d and don’T give a fcuk. i just hope semeone gets helped off of it.

17. Daniel October 18th, 2013 1:15 am

Hey shultz, I’m about 350 kanji into KanjiDamage and I’ve got to say: THANKYOU!! I actually found KanjiDamage through a link on TextFugu so he seems like a fairly good chap. I thought you might like to know, though, that he seems to have been so impressed with your method that he’s released a beta version that his own company has come up with called WaniKani. I only got through about the first 10 kanji before deciding I liked yours better, but just letting you know that even though what you’ve done is awesome, if it doesn’t continue to evolve it may fade away.
    I’m just one more in what I imagine must be a fairly large fan base of your site, so if you want a hand with development (eg Android App) or anything let me know.

PS – Here’s an interesting scholarly mnemonic method that includes etymologies: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/henshall_mnem.html

18. ストライプス December 4th, 2014 7:46 pm

I found KanjiDamage a little while ago and I love it! I used to immediately skip over kanji and now I’m getting cozy looking at it (I’m not far into KanjiDamagae XD). I know you’re not updating this anymore, but thank you so much for KanjiDamage! It’s my baby! And I hope it helps me learn better and faster! Please keep it updated!

19. ストライプス December 5th, 2014 9:35 pm

OMG I KNOW YOU’RE PROBABLY NOT EVEN READING THIS ANYMORE BUT I JUST REALIZED HOW INCREDIBLE KANJIDAMAGE IS! I’m watching a NicoNicoDouga video again, after several weeks of not watching it. I came back to it and I recognize SO MANY KANJI from KanjiDamage! I didn’t even realize it! I don’t think I can read and understand them quite yet, though it’s only because I haven’t gone over the cards. Adding the jukugo to every radical was the best idea ever. PLEASE KEEP IT UP! (sorry for making two posts in such a short time ><)

20. ストライプス December 5th, 2014 9:36 pm

BTW, I’m only on my eighth of ninth kanji right now, so keep it up!