go to Japan Subculture

If you're interested in the behind-the-scenes dirt on TEPCO and Fukushima power plant, go to japan subculture right now. Author Jake Adelstein is killing it with article after article.

Also: I'm working on a couple of things.

Does anyone know any really depressing "the nail that sticks up will get hammered down" type Japanese kotowaza (proverbs)?

And, for those of you who read Japanese, does anybody have a recommendation for books about ijime or the treatment of ethnic miniorities (burakumin / zainichi nihonjin / etc) ?

Those are the two big tabboo topics that I haven't tackled yet in 9 years of doing this site.

I really need to translate books on both those subjects, but of course since I suck at reading Japanese, i can't read 10 books and pick the best one to translate. I have to somehow find the best book FIRST.

Any help from you or your Japanese pals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1. sakana July 4th, 2011 9:06 pm

This is a traduction in french of a amall extract of a japanese book dealing with zainichi and burakumin discrimination. The author is the zainichi journalist Shin Sugok. She interviews burakumin komeito politician Nonaka Hiromu in this book. The book is really good, they are really critical and really break the tabous.
    差別と日本人、野中広務と辛淑玉、角川書店、2009

2. admin July 5th, 2011 5:32 am

@sakana: thanks! And it’s a recent book, too! I’ll try to track it down soon.

3. Andy July 6th, 2011 5:42 am

Deru kugi wa utareru I think.

4. rick July 7th, 2011 10:57 am

Eager to hear your take on burakumin in Japan.

5. DrSenbei July 12th, 2011 7:39 am

2-Chan troll turned Gen-X armchair philosopher Yamano Sharin has a series of academic manga on the topic of illegal Zainichi immigrants and their wicked plots to undermine the country:

While the art is konbini-manga caliber, the writing is as tight as  propaganda needs to be. Probably not the un-biased expose you were looking for, but it's a good place to learn about "problems" and attitudes as viewed by conservitives.

6. François July 17th, 2011 4:36 am

"Go" by Kazuki Kaneshiro is a novel about a Japanese chosen-jin school kid and the identity problems and the racism he encounters.
    Kaneshiro himself is a Japanese chosen-jin and was a student in a DRPK school in Japan for a while.
    Haven't read the book myself, but I saw the movie taken out of it.
    About proverbs, 出る杭は打たれる(AKA 出る釘は打たれる)is the most depressing I know, along with fascist slogans from the 30s. Can't get another one out of my head right now. But you should probably look at 四字熟語 too. Most probably some fairly depressing ones there too.