FINALLY DECIDED THE TEA PARTY IS NOT RACIST

There’s been a lot of debate about tea party racism-or-not, a lot of very tedious and inconclusive debate  . . .but I’m finally confident that I have got to the bottom of it: no, they’re not.
I base this on their reaction to the IRS singling their 501c(4) applications out for scrutiny.
WHICH WAS THE SAME EXACT REACTION AS WASHINGTON D.C.’S  BLACK MAJORITY WHEN MAYOR MARION BARRY WAS CAUGHT ON CAMERA SMOKING CRACK WITH HOOKERS.
Barry was arrested in 1990. After he got out of jail, he was re-elected in ’94.   What the fuck?!? I remember reading this article at the time, and there was a quote from an African-American DC citizen saying basically this:  “It’s not that I think he’s innocent. ALL mayors are guilty. If the FBI looks at ANY mayor long enough, they’ll find a boatload of felonies. So just by CHOOSING to look at the most powerful Black mayor in America, the FBI is guilty. . .  of racism!”
I don’t remember the exact quote . . . the news story was 20 years ago. But I remember being blown away. This was my first time to hear the idea that EVERYONE is guilty and by choosing to LOOK AT one person and not another person, the government can basically choose arbitrarily who to throw in jail. In other words, you can have a system of laws (which in theory apply equally to everyone and are thus fair and rational) which is also totally arbitrary.
Fast forward to 2013, and the IRS catches the Tea Party groups applying for 501c(4) status – which they fucking clearly don’t deserve. 501c(4) is for community service and charity and stuff, it’s explicitly NOT for politics.  Rather than deny they’re political groups, the Tea Parties say exactly what Black DC said: “Since EVERY 501c(4) group is guilty of false filing in order to avoid taxes, singling US out for inspections is an arbitrary persecution.”
So, they’re not racist after all!  And I’m happy to hear they’re against racial profiling, stop-and-frisk, no-knock warrants and the drug war!  Which is the only logical consequence of their anger over IRS “persecution!”
 Marion Barry Tea Party 2016!!!!

1. sephim May 21st, 2013 3:52 am

Just responding so you know somebody is reading the political content and not just here for the silly music and cartoon dick pictures…

Although, I'm mostly here for that.

2. Max May 21st, 2013 11:44 pm

The Tea Party may not be institutionally racist, but they are completely bonkers in a way that appeals to racists, especially the bits about handicapping the federal government. It's not any kind of secret that white nationalist groups are attending Tea Party rallies in an attempt to mainstream themselves and recruit, as well as backing Tea Party candidates with local activism.
    But yeah, my first thought when hearing about the IRS giving extra scrutiny to Tea Party based organizations was "no shit." Their whole shtick is that they oppose taxes, and as a group they are demonstrably looney, so who else would you suspect of being tax cheaters? I mean, I never thought I would defend the IRS, but I would have been stunned if they hadn't been suspicious of these Cloud Cuckoo Landers.
    My biggest beef with the Tea Party and its anti-federalist rhetoric is that everything they want as policy is already being done in countries that nobody wants to live in because those same political ideas have made them terrible places. I live in Kansas, and I can't tell you how much it sometimes feels like they want to turn it into the American version of the Pakistani Tribal Adminstration Regions. Sheik Brownback has us well on our way, having purged all the moderates from the state party and begun issuing fatwas calling for the arrest of BATF agents trying to enforce federal gun laws on sacred Kansas soil.

3. Rick May 30th, 2013 2:13 pm

Love you, Schutz, but your dead wrong about 501c4 organizations. 501c4 organizations CAN participate in partisan politics. Lobbying just can't be the "primary" purpose of the organization. Of course, no one bothered to define what "primary" means…

The main thing to keep in mind here is whether or not the money donated to these organizations are tax deductible or not. 501c3 are expressly prohibited from doing lobbying. Money donated to them is tax deductible.

Money donated to 501c4 orgs are NOT tax deductible. Lobbying is part of what they do. For example, "Progress Florida" is a 501c4 that lobbies to expand Medicare in Florida. Sure, they might do some "community service and charity and stuff" but they're also using their money to gleefully wade into the lobbying cesspool.

4. admin May 30th, 2013 2:43 pm

*YOU’RE dead wrong

5. Rick May 31st, 2013 6:37 am

You are correct. It is spelled “You’re” not “Your.” I humbly accept my typo, and bow to your superior grammar skills. I feel great shame for my inferior proofreading skills.

Please accept my most humble apology.

6. admin May 31st, 2013 2:37 pm

*tpyo

7. Your Mom June 4th, 2013 11:04 am
  8. admin June 6th, 2013 3:18 am

@yourmom: so you agree with my proposition or not, and if so, why?