need some help!

First, good news;  Kanjidamage now has official Anki cards, courtesy of a user named miwuc.

Thanks, miwuc!

Bad news is, I’m stuck in a damn vicious circle.  Nobody comes to this site anymore, which diminishes my incentive to post, which causes people not to come. But also, more imortantly;  i’m now up against all of social media.

So that explains why I’m not posting.

The OTHER  good news is, I have hundreds of new posts written, enough to fill a book, or half a book if you just count the good stuff.   Everything from dead-serious politics to fiction, jokes, lists, fake bands, imaginary tv shows, skits, and so many many many descriptions of anthropology experiments I’d like to conduct if I were an eccentric millionaire.

But – and this is where you people come in – what the fuck should I DO with it?

Start a new wordpress which even fewer people will read?

Post everything on Facebook and then spend an hour a day ‘liking’ dumb peoples’  updates about their Starbucks or their kids or whatever, hoping they’ll ‘like’ my posts back?

Send emails to semi-famous left-wing authors that I have never met, urging them to read and promote me?  (Dear Naomi Fucking Klein, I am your biggest fan! I’m sure you hear that all the time, but in my case it’s the truth! Just like your books! Now that I’ve checked out YOUR books. . .)

Tap into some existing community or online network of users that routinely reads / comments on each others’ blogs?

To me that seems the most plausable!

But where is there a community for people into Peak Oil politics…

AND Slayer jokes…

AND   5,000-word analyses of fictional musical subcultures….

AND  Pynchonesque conspiracy theories based on the cryptic memorial inscriptions of park benches….

AND like seriously over a thousand fake names for fictional characters (for example; Mallomar Curvature, P.I., Duuche Finkubus, Flab Gander, Gunter Fembott, DelMar Multiple-Hyena)…
AND  long serious essays about the  blind spots in human cognition . . .

AND  absurd one-liners like ” . . . as you leave a store where you were a polite customer, give a real mean glare to the first  person you see outside and tell’em,  “You didn’t see NOTHING!””

To me the diversity of my material is the strength but in today’s micro-targeted user-demographic search-engine-algorythm age, the diversity is a fucking liability.

I’m convinced, though, there ARE some readers out there who are just as pissed off and random as I am that WOULD like to read some shit like that.  You yourself are evidence of this.   So how to  get “hits”, as they used to say in the 90s?

(I realize that this is a fairly common problem in this day and age, and obviously nobody’s solved it otherwise the solution would itself be ‘the next facebook’ with all the problems that come with THAT .  . . .)

That said, I’m not expecting to make any money or get like a million hits or be some Huffpo columnist.  If I could get back to where THIS site was 10 years ago, I’d be happy. That’s what makes me think this goal is do-able.

Leave suggestions in the comments, or email me if you know my shit, Osbourne Cox.

1. Tzench August 29th, 2015 5:31 am

1. RSS is the shit. Even if the posts are rarer, I still read them all.

2. There are still a lot of people interested in reading about Japan. There should be a way to tap into.

3. If the page had a more modern design it could be made more manoeuvrable. If the good stuff could be found, maybe more people would stick around.

4. I, for one, appreciate the randomness. Isn’t there a niche for randomness in the social media cesspool to be found?

5. Stay of the Facebook trail. That shit sucks.

2. 古山田咲郎 August 29th, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi Schultzzz!

On your question on how to return to where this site was mid 2000s – Start posting pics of crazy punk Jap events n’ stuff again. Would assume that 99% of people clicked this site just for that.

On the other hand, didn’t you quit your Japanese episode and move back to the US again? Apart from focusing on more socially and politically rants? So I guess it’s not an option, is it?

If getting hits or making money is not in your interest, then why bother anyway? What is the difference when 10 people or 1000 people read your posts, but either way only 10 people CARE ABOUT IT in the end?

If I was in your place, I would just consider two things.

1. There are probably much more people reading this blog than people leaving replies (I, for example, am usually too lazy to comment).

2. If you have all those rad posts ready, why don’t you post them? Ususally when I come to this place I find that there wasn’t a new post for days or even weeks. Makes it feel like it is deserted and you quit it for good. Guess people would start to view your posts more regularly if there were new entries at least once or twice a week. Please start with the Slayer jokes !!!

3. maire August 30th, 2015 6:05 am

what Tzench said

and fuck facebook.

4. Flab Gander August 30th, 2015 6:47 am

My 2 yen:

Try writing on Medium https://medium.com
    It’s easy to use, and the pages are easy to read (unlike this tiny-white-text-on-black-background).

Then open a Twitter account and use it to post links to the articles. Don’t worry about following people back. Just post tweets with links to your sweet stuff.

Fecesbook is not for you. I think you’ll do better on Twitter ‘cuz it’s more about “interests”, not “friends” and relatives.

Just a thought…

5. fanboy August 31st, 2015 11:53 am

We love ya schultz! Ganbatte! I’ll follow you whereever the social media winds take you!

6. statiq September 3rd, 2015 9:55 am

Well, if it’s any comfort, you’re not the only one asking yourself that. Compared to 7-8 years ago most blogs seem quite dead, both in term of new posts and discussion level. Take neojaponsime, mutantfrog etc. A lot of others have given up for real a while ago (tokyoscum, pink tentacle).

Blogs used to be the way to post original content and to discuss it. What do we have now instead? Corporate sites run by teams of low paid interns that update with shit content 5 times a day (think rocketnews24) because you need to update constantly or people just don’t visit. There’s no way blogs run by 1 or 2 people can compete with these sites.

As for the discussion part, it supposedly happens on social media, I say supposedly because in realty the quality of discussion on social media is nowhere near what used to exist in blog comments.

Anyway, at the very minimum you should open a twitter account, and link to your new blog posts from twitter. You don’t have to interact with people on there if you don’t want to, it’s just a way to let people know about your new posts. This matters because RSS has been pretty much replaced by twitter. Old farts still use RSS, but a lot of people gave up on it and most kids have never even heard of it. If people only visit the site once or twice per month, they will feel the moment has passed and won’t comment on your recent posts even if they read them and are interested. So it’s important to get the word out as soon as you’ve posted. And of course, people won’t read your posts at all if they have no way to know new stuff has been published.

As for social media most of them (but especially facebook) feel like they are the exact opposite of what this blog stands for. Twitter and tumblr seem to be the only “social media” where the kind of things you post would fit. The tokyoscum guys seem to have taken that road: a tumblr site called otakunewwave to share photos, scans, small things etc. and they started a new site/blog (ceiling-gallery) for proper articles.

It’s a shame that your old stuff is not better known. There’s tons and tons of good stuff that deserves to be rediscovered I think.

7. Henry September 5th, 2015 12:50 pm

Hey dude, my favorite thing bout your site when I first found it way back in high school (2004 ish) was the photo dumps from art fiesta, although they started becoming shittier and the fashion bs. does not interest me. Just those sick illustrations. Your random though diarrhy(a) is cool and all but I want to see pictures and wierd fringe stuff or like themed photos of where you are, or local things going on

8. Joe September 12th, 2015 7:03 pm

Dude, I remember going through all your post when I first discovered you. I think you need a major update of some sort. Yeah maybe don’t move to other sites completely but you should definitely try to expand to areas like tumblr and Youtube. I’ll would love for you to make videos of your ventures.

9. Tokyoscum September 19th, 2015 11:18 pm

statiq> Tokyo Scum is still around! We just moved to a new site with a cleaner design. Of course the old, dead blog gets more hits, so learn from my mistakes Steven: Don’t launch a new blog! You’ll lose all your readers and Google-ability.
    Try Twitter, your spontaneous humor is a good fit.

10. vunzya September 26th, 2015 7:07 pm

hey shultzzz, ive been reading you for a long time, and don’t get me wrong, i love your posts on japan, but what is cool is your style of saying things about your surroundings with tons of pics to back it up. it cracks me up. so just write about weird and stupid things where you are right at this point in time. one post that i thought was soooo funny was the pic of a hooker ad with christmas lights on it. where did you decide to go anyway? blah , now im just rambling, bye!

11. Paul September 30th, 2015 6:18 am

Publish that shit and I’d buy it. Your writing is lively to say the least. You wouldn’t be the first to publish a random almanac of amusing miscellany either. Off the top of my head, Hodgman (the “I’m a PC” guy) made a career out of that.

12. Steve October 5th, 2015 7:23 pm

There’s a website called Patreon. A lot of people who have run websites for years without any profit, and have grown old and have kids and real shit to worry about, have started to use the site as an incentive to keep publishing their stuff. The absolute dumbest shit has at least 30 people paying them $1-$5 a month/post/whatever to keep posting. Not only that, but those ‘patrons’ are like, “OMG, I have to tell everyone on the internet that I’m supporting this bum”, and then they do all your facebook/twitter marketing for you.

I think it would be sick if you got enough money to self-publish a volume of political analysis/satire. There is too much fake punk shit like Vice out there now, doing a half-assed version of what you’ve done forever. Go get yours.

13. sephim October 7th, 2015 12:55 am

Patreon was hacked just a couple of days ago, so, you know… trustworthy.

Also, Amanda Palmer is on it. Fuck that shit.

14. Steve October 31st, 2015 8:52 am

Had no idea, but from what I’ve read, nobody’s credit accounts were compromised. The big deal is that people who thought their donations were anonymous were exposed. That’s kind of irrelevant in the case of this website – unless you are real freaking scared of someone finding out you read it, like when I cover up copies of the New Yorker with copies of Forbes when conservatives come by the house.

Also who cares who else uses it?

15. Zalanii November 18th, 2015 12:02 am